Job title: MARKETING SPEC 5
Company: San Francisco State University
Job description: Job Summary
The Director, Enterprise Marketing, is a marketing/creative visionary, a strategic thinker and an inspiring and engaging team leader. They work across the Office of Communications (OOC) and with enterprise stakeholders to deepen and grow affinity for UCSF across audience targets, leveraging UCSF’s institutional brand story in conjunction with the department’s integrated content strategy and strategic priorities.
Reporting to the Executive Director, Enterprise Brand and Brand Strategy Group Lead, the Director leads the nascent enterprise marketing function with an emphasis on content marketing and audience strategy. They are responsible for evolving and elevating perceptions and awareness of the UCSF brand with key targets, through a combination of brand, creative and communications strategy, story development and marketing planning. They have demonstrated experience in effectively conceptualizing, directing and implementing content marketing, brand creative and marketing strategies to achieve strategic business goals and foster integration in a results-oriented environment of innovation. They identify insights in to how the UCSF brand can connect to key audiences through both online and offline experiences, in conjunction with colleagues.
The candidate is a prominent representative of the UCSF brand and a key member of the Brand Strategy leadership team. The Director leads, directs and manages a cross-functional team of at least two full-time FTEs plus freelancers and agency partners.
As a member of the Office of Communications’ (OOC) broader leadership team-the Communications Leadership Council-the Director is a generous and collaborative leader who can create alignment in a decentralized, matrixed environment, and can influence outcomes by means of vision, credibility, and domain expertise independently of positional authority. They must be a person of integrity whose beliefs and actions align with, and advance, UCSF’s mission, , and stated policy goals, including its strong commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and anti-racism.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Lead strategy development for new audience cultivation and growth
- Drive the development of audience-targeted content that engages, inspires and activates
- Explore and implement strategic opportunities for content deployment, leveraging content across channels and partnerships to engage diverse audiences in UCSF stories, advancing and fostering support for OOC goals and strategic priorities
- Lead brand perception research and leverage other research available to refine objectives and strategies; and to evaluate effectiveness and optimize performance for team
- Define key performance indicators and meet and exceed performance targets
- Align, collaborate and partner with key cross-enterprise stakeholders to promote integration across marketing initiatives and communications and ensure a strategic approach to brand content development and deployment in accordance with UCSF’s brand standards
- Articulate and advocate for the unique point of view of UCSF’s brand and promote alignment of creative and content development with overall brand strategy and strategic organizational priorities
- Be trusted subject matter expert and leader who actively contributes to Enterprise Marketing, Brand Strategy and Office of Communications discussions and working sessions
- Lead a diverse team of talent in a fast-paced environment with high performance expectations
- Stay abreast of marketing / industry best practices
- Develop an annual content marketing budget
The position requires excellent judgment and planning, ingenuity, exceptional and responsive client communication and proven brand marketing skills. The Director takes ownership, is an inventive problem solver and has a high level of accountability. They continually assesses competitive landscapes and industry trends to bring innovative thinking to differentiate the UCSF brand from competition.
The role spends a majority of time achieving organizational objectives through the coordinated achievements of partner efforts and the development of brand initiatives/programs. They function with a high level of autonomy, establishing project goals and objectives and managing financial or physical resources to meet stated objectives.
Additional Shift Details
Generally Mon-Fri, 8:30 am – 5:30 pm. Availability will be expected outside of these hours, including occasional weekend work and meeting attendance as required.
99 – Policy-Covered (No Bargaining Unit)
Marketing / Communications, Professional (Non-Clinical), Professional and Managerial
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, communications, advertising; or related area and 10+ years of directly related work experience; and / or equivalent experience / training.
- 5+ years experience in brand strategy, marketing leadership, content strategy and content development, campaign management
- 5+ years experience in developing, tracking and reporting on key performance indicators
- 3+ years experience in functional area leadership, including strong knowledge of people management, coaching techniques, and the ability to select, train, evaluate, lead, direct, guide and motivate staff to produce high quality work with skill and confidence
- Strong skills in strategic planning and execution, effectively organizing resources and setting and establishing priorities within budget and time constraints
- Solid knowledge and skills to advise and consult with management to ensure delivery of desired messages to strategic audiences
- Strong knowledge of marketing best practices
- Broad knowledge of and ability to implement industry best practices, including brand strategy, content marketing, audience cultivation and engagement, creative campaign development, project and asset-sharing systems, channel management and optimization
- Strong written, verbal, interpersonal communication, active listening and political acumen skills and advanced skills to represent the team and department with other institutional and/or external constituencies
- Know how to manage and execute creative projects, including project planning, needs scoping, stakeholder buy-in, design review, vendor selection/management, and production. Able to manage work of multiple teams and resources (creative firms, agencies, freelance resources) to meet brand marketing goals. Effective communicator to keep all parties informed and engaged.
- Excellent analytical and problem recognition, avoidance and resolution skills. Ability to negotiate, with diplomacy, in difficult situations with both internal and external groups. Provide advice and counsel, using persuasive skills, to help align people around a common vision. People person, collaborative style.
- Possess clean design style and a very high aesthetic level – aligned with the vision of UCSF brand.
- Software expertise in PowerPoint, Word, Excel, project management tools; Drupal content management systems, Adobe Creative Suite (basic design ability) and HTML a plus.
- Master’s degree in business administration, marketing, health administration or related field
- Brand management within decentralized, stakeholder-driven environments a plus.
- Familiarity with and interest in health care/sciences, and the role of a public research university
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California San Francisco is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information.
As UCSF’s enterprise communications team, the Office of Communications (OOC) provides comprehensive and coordinated leadership in planning, creating and implementing integrated strategies across all media to foster increased awareness and support of UCSF’s mission, vision, accomplishments and strategic priorities among its diverse internal and external constituencies. It serves as the official voice of UCSF to regional, state, national and international news media. In the midst of significant expansion, the OOC is adding new capabilities and staff in order to better serve the growing needs of UCSF’s mission and strategic initiatives.
UCSF’s Brand Strategy unit defines, drives and promotes UCSF’s brand platform, brand family and story to be meaningful, differentiated and salient. It creates and shapes content to deliver experiences consistent with UCSF’s brand promise. It cultivates new audiences, fostering and deepening engagement to promote preference. And it leads enterprise alignment and orchestration, governance and best practices at the enterprise brand level.
The University of California, San Francisco (UCSF) is a leading university dedicated to promoting health worldwide through advanced biomedical research, graduate-level education in the life sciences and health professions, and excellence in patient care. It is the only campus in the 10-campus UC system dedicated exclusively to the health sciences. We bring together the world’s leading experts in nearly every area of health. We are home to five Nobel laureates who have advanced the understanding of cancer, neurodegenerative diseases, aging and stem cells.
UCSF is a diverse community made of people with many skills and talents. We seek candidates whose work experience or community service has prepared them to contribute to our commitment to professionalism, respect, integrity, diversity and excellence – also known as our PRIDE values.
In addition to our PRIDE values, UCSF is committed to equity – both in how we deliver care as well as our workforce. We are committed to building a broadly diverse community, nurturing a culture that is welcoming and supportive, and engaging diverse ideas for the provision of culturally competent education, discovery, and patient care. Additional information about UCSF is available at
Join us to find a rewarding career contributing to improving healthcare worldwide.
Location: San Francisco, CA
Job date: Wed, 21 Sep 2022 04:23:40 GMT