Job title: Sr. Software Developer/Architect – Technologist
Company: Western Digital
Job description: Company Description
About Western Digital:
At Western Digital, our vision is to power global innovation and push the boundaries of technology to make what you thought was once impossible, possible.
At our core, Western Digital is a company of problem solvers. People achieve extraordinary things given the right technology. For decades, we’ve been doing just that. Our technology helped people put a man on the moon.
We are a key partner to some of the largest and highest growth organizations in the world. From energizing the most competitive gaming platforms, to enabling systems to make cities safer and cars smarter and more connected, to powering the data centers behind many of the world’s biggest companies and public cloud, Western Digital is fueling a brighter, smarter future.
Binge-watch any shows, use social media or shop online lately? You’ll find Western Digital supporting the storage infrastructure behind many of these platforms. And, that flash memory card that captures and preserves your most precious moments? That’s us, too.
We offer an expansive portfolio of technologies, storage devices and platforms for business and consumers alike. Our data-centric solutions are comprised of the Western Digital®, G-Technology™, SanDisk® and WD® brands.
Today’s exceptional challenges require your unique skills. It’s You & Western Digital. Together, we’re the next BIG thing in data.
About Advance Analytics Office (AAO):
AAO is missioned with accelerating Analytics solutions at scale across the Enterprise to rapidly capture business value. These solutions target key business metrics, such as, reducing manufacturing cost, improve capital efficiency, reduce time-to market to develop new products, improve operational efficiency, and improve customer experience.
These solutions are built using cutting edge Industrial 4.0 technologies and are delivered through a platform approach to enable rapid scaling. The solutions span AI/ML for improving manufacturing yield, quality, equipment uptime, and adaptive testing, Operations Research for capacity and scheduling optimization, Digital Twin for inventory and logistics optimization, and Product Telematics for managing customer fleet management solutions. Many of these solutions are first-of-a-kind that have discovery and rapid learning elements with the intent of taking solution to scale.
Big data platform, BDP team provides self-service data and application platforms enabling rapid scaling of services to make ever increasing business impact. You will have the opportunity to partner in making remarkable things happen across WDT’s more than dozen factories across the globe, global product development teams, customer solutions, and supporting operations like Finance, supply chain, Procurement, Sales etc.
About Technologist, Software Development Engineering (Apps):
As a Technologist, Software Development Engineering (Apps), you are responsible for building healthy DevOps platform with policies and procedures around implementing and supporting our global hybrid cloud container strategies using Kubernetes, Google Cloud Platform (GCP) Anthos and Amazon Web Services AWS. Candidate should have expertise in software development lifecycle policies and modern application concepts such as 12-factor ( ) application development using infrastructure as a code discipline. Experience in setting up continuous integration of source code pipelines using Bitbucket, Jenkins, Terraform, Ansible, etc., is preferred. Ability to build continuous deployments using Docker, Artifactory, Spinnaker, etc., is required with a strong advocate of DevOps principles. Candidate should be passionate about developing and delivering modern software-as-a-service (SaaS) design principles using preferred cloud service provides or on-premises solutions
This position requires partnering with various Western Digital manufacturing, engineering, and IT teams in understanding factory-critical workloads and designing solutions. Big data platform, BDP team provides self-service data and application platforms to enable machine learning (ML) capabilities to engineering and data science community. The ideal candidate should be passionate about working with various cloud native technologies to handle various Service Level Agreements (SLA). Candidate should be versatile to experiment with fail-fast approach to adopt to new technologies and natural troubleshooting capabilities. Communication with internal customers, external vendors and co-workers in a clear and professional manner is expected.
- Work in global team to strategize, design, implement and operate our global hybrid cloud service provider platforms such as AWS and GCP.
- Work on policies and procedures around building healthy multi-tenant self-service containerized application platform by collaborating closely with business.
- Define, develop, and maintain customizations/integrations between various Kubernetes OSS tooling (ingress, helm, operators, observability)
- Perform application deployment of container applications to Kubernetes environments using CI/CD workflow tooling
- Document common work tasks to be added to shared knowledge base
- Work closely with other business development teams to help design and deploy their applications in cloud as well as on-premises edge container platforms
- BS/MS in Computer Science, Information Technology, Computer Information Systems (or) relevant working experience in IT field
- 15+ years of experience in handling enterprise level production applications, infrastructure for storage, memory, network, compute, and virtualization.
- Experience in setting up continuous integration of source code pipelines using Bitbucket, Jenkins, Terraform, Ansible and continuous deployment pipelines using Artifactory and Spinnaker
- Candidate should be passionate about developing and delivering modern software-as-a-service (SaaS) design principles using Docker/Kubernetes
- Experience with Kubernetes, Helm, Istio and other Kubernetes concepts
- Experience with monitoring/alerting packages such as Prometheus & Grafana
- Strong troubleshooting skills with an appetite to learn new technology
- Certification in Kubernetes
- AWS/GCP cloud solution architect certification
- Experience in handling automation scripts using Ansible, Terraform and/or Cloud Formation
- Familiar with data service solutions such as ElasticSearch, Kafka, Redis, NiFi, MongoDB, RabbitMQ, Single Store, HVR, Postgres, MySQL etc.,
Western Digital is committed to providing equal opportunities to all applicants and employees and will not discriminate based on their race, color, ancestry, religion (including religious dress and grooming standards), sex (including pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, breastfeeding or related medical conditions), gender (including a person’s gender identity, gender expression, and gender-related appearance and behavior, whether or not stereotypically associated with the person’s assigned sex at birth), age, national origin, sexual orientation, medical condition, marital status (including domestic partnership status), physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, protected medical and family care leave, Civil Air Patrol status, military and veteran status, or other legally protected characteristics. We also prohibit harassment of any individual on any of the characteristics listed above. Our non-discrimination policy applies to all aspects of employment. We comply with the laws and regulations set forth in the poster.
Western Digital thrives on the power and potential of diversity. As a global company, we believe the most effective way to embrace the diversity of our customers and communities is to mirror it from within. We believe the fusion of various perspectives results in the best outcomes for our employees, our company, our customers, and the world around us. We are committed to an inclusive environment where every individual can thrive through a sense of belonging, respect and contribution.
Western Digital is committed to offering opportunities to applicants with disabilities and ensuring all candidates can successfully navigate our careers website and our hiring process. Please contact us at to advise us of your accommodation request. In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.
Compensation & Benefits Details
- An employee’s pay position within the salary range may be based on several factors including but not limited to (1) relevant education; qualifications; certifications; and experience; (2) skills, ability, knowledge of the job; (3) performance, contribution and results; (4) geographic location; (5) shift; (6) internal and external equity; and (7) business and organizational needs.
- The salary range is what we believe to be the range of possible compensation for this role at the time of this posting. We may ultimately pay more or less than the posted range and this range is only applicable for jobs to be performed in Colorado or remote jobs that can be performed in Colorado. This range may be modified in the future.
- You will also be eligible to participate in Western Digital’s Short-Term Incentive (STI) Plan and to receive equity awards under our annual Long-Term Incentive (LTI) program, which consists of restricted stock units (RSUs), pursuant to the terms of these programs. RSU awards are also available to eligible new hires, subject to Western Digital’s Standard Terms and Conditions for Restricted Stock Unit Awards.
- We offer a comprehensive package of benefits including paid vacation time; paid sick leave; medical/dental/vision insurance; life, accident and disability insurance; tax-advantaged flexible spending and health savings accounts; employee assistance program; other voluntary benefit programs such as supplemental life and AD&D, legal plan, pet insurance, critical illness, accident and hospital indemnity; tuition reimbursement; transit; the Virgin Pulse Program; the Applause Program, employee stock purchase plan, and the Western Digital Savings 401(k) Plan.
- Note: No amount of pay is considered to be wages or compensation until such amount is earned, vested, and determinable. The amount and availability of any bonus, commission, benefits, or any other form of compensation and benefits that are allocable to a particular employee remains in the Company’s sole discretion unless and until paid and may be modified at the Company’s sole discretion, consistent with the law.
Location: San Jose, CA
Job date: Sat, 17 Sep 2022 04:21:42 GMT