Job title: Entertainment Shift Writer: Movie/TV News
Company: Screen Rant
Job description: Job description
This is a paid freelance, remote position – that means you can work from anywhere, on your own schedule.
Screen Rant is the #1 independent entertainment website on the web and publishes up-to-the-minute news on blockbuster movies, TV, video games, and comic books. Our editorial team is looking for eager Shift Writers to contribute Movie/TV News content under the leadership of the Movie/TV News Lead Editor. The selected candidates will have tremendous career growth opportunity within the organization. Please note that this role does not involve video production or script writing.
We are looking for writers with 1–2 years of previous online writing experience with a media outlet and a passion for the vertical you’re applying to. Please visit and review your familiarity with our range of topics before applying and, in your cover letter, make sure to tell us how your knowledge of entertainment content will complement Screen Rant’s coverage. We would love to welcome you to our community of cinephiles, gamers, and geeks!
- Write a minimum of 20 articles per week in Screen Rant’s house style (following the requisite training and peer mentorship period)
- This will include fact-checking, formatting, linking, and image sourcing/very basic editing (sizing, brightness, etc.)
- Pitch story ideas when none are readily available
- Accept and apply any/all feedback received by the editorial team
- Communicate openly and actively with the editorial team
- 1–2 years of online writing experience with a media outlet
- A passion for the content and a drive to grow within the industry
- Broad working knowledge of Movies/TV in general, especially blockbusters and major franchises (DC Movies, MCU, Star Wars, Star Trek, popular streaming content)
- Quick learner with a strong sense of urgency
- Excellent command of the English language
- Ability to write articles free of typos and grammatical errors
- Comfortable working in an entirely virtual environment
Applicants with experience in the following areas will be given favorable consideration:
- Understanding of what it means to write a “News” piece
- Relevant experience in writing and/or editing roles (digital publications, entertainment content)
- Familiarity with WordPress
- Image editing
- Analytics (GA)
What Screen Rant has to offer:
- Open schedule – write as much as you like, whenever you like, from wherever you like!
- Future bonusing opportunities for high contributors of quality articles
- Incredible opportunities for career growth within a supportive system
- An amazing community of like-minded people to nerd-out with on a daily basis
NOTE: Only applications containing a resume and cover letter will be considered. It is essential that you demonstrate your breadth of knowledge of popular Movie/TV content in your cover letter. You will not be considered for the role if this information is not included. Please note that the next step in the hiring process involves a writing evaluation.
We’re looking forward to hearing from you!
Powered by JazzHR
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Job date: Tue, 22 Nov 2022 05:09:26 GMT