Job title: Production Editor, Ten Speed Press
Company: Penguin Random House
Job description: We are seeking a Production Editor to join our Random House Production Editorial team to work on adult non-fiction titles in several imprints, including Clarkson Potter/Publishers, Ten Speed Press, Rodale Books, and Harmony Books. You will oversee a variety of titles, from the initial transmittal of final manuscripts to bound books. Working closely with the editorial, design, and production teams, you will have the opportunity to work on illustrated projects, such as cookbooks, decorating and design books, gardening books, graphic novels, journals, and more.
In this role, you will be responsible for:
- Hiring and assessing the work of freelance copyeditors, proofreaders, cold readers, and indexers, and nurturing those relationships
- Preparing manuscripts for layout, including proper structuring, formatting, and coding, sometimes using a custom Penguin Random House Word-based platform
- Coordinating with the editorial, managing editorial, production, and design departments to see titles through to completion
- Collaborating on, maintaining, and meeting book schedules
- Reviewing, evaluating, and collating author and proofreader edits, which includes additional copyediting, fact-checking, following up with queries to the editor and author, and gathering notes for the designer
- Reviewing and collating all subsequent passes, as well as material created at later stages, such as indexes
- Copyediting and proofreading supplementary materials, such as front matter, back matter, cover copy, promotional material, catalog, etc.
- Reviewing and approving cover and jacket routings
- Attending administrative and workflow meetings and performing various administrative duties, including invoicing, system updates, and status reports
- Maintaining backlist reprint corrections file for text, covers, and e-books, and preparing reprint correction memos
Ideal candidates will meet the following requirements:
- Minimum of 5 years of publishing experience in a production editorial capacity
- Proven ability to work on complex non-fiction titles, including cookbooks and other illustrated projects
- Strong copyediting and proofreading skills, attention to detail and accuracy, and an interest in the evolution of inclusive language
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to prioritize multiple assignments, with the skill to successfully manage numerous competing priorities
- Have an acute attention to detail and be highly organized in a deadline-driven environment
- Aptitude to work successfully both independently and as part of a team
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word, electronic copy editing (especially the track changes function), and Adobe Acrobat
- Knowledge of The Chicago Manual of Style, 17th edition
Please apply using our online application process, and please include your resume and cover letter with salary requirements. Full-time employees are eligible for our comprehensive benefits program.
Full-time employees are eligible for our comprehensive benefits program. Our range of benefits include, but are not limited to, Medical/Prescription drug insurance, Dental, Vision, Health Care/Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account, Health Savings Account, Pre-Tax and Roth 401(k), Short and Long-Term Disability Insurance, Life/AD&D Insurance, Commuter Benefits, Student Loan Repayment Program, Educational Assistance & generous paid time off.
Penguin Random House is the leading adult and children’s publishing house in North America, the United Kingdom and many other regions around the world. In publishing the best books in every genre and subject for all ages, we are committed to quality, excellence in execution, and innovation throughout the entire publishing process: editorial, design, marketing, publicity, sales, production, and distribution. Our vibrant and diverse international community of nearly 250 publishing brands and imprints include Ballantine Bantam Dell, Berkley, Clarkson Potter, Crown, DK, Doubleday, Dutton, Grosset & Dunlap, Little Golden Books, Knopf, Modern Library, Pantheon, Penguin Books, Penguin Press, Penguin Random House Audio, Penguin Young Readers, Portfolio, Puffin, Putnam, Random House, Random House Children’s Books, Riverhead, Ten Speed Press, Viking, and Vintage, among others. More information can be found at
Penguin Random House values the array of talents and perspectives that a diverse workforce brings. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, religion, age, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protected veteran status.
Company: Penguin Random House LLC
Country: United States of America
State/Region: New York
Postal Code: 94608
Job ID: 248825
Date: Sep 16, 2022
Emeryville, CA, US, 94608
Location: Emeryville, CA
Job date: Sun, 18 Sep 2022 06:35:22 GMT