Position: Lead GIS Analyst (The Office of City Commissioners)
A best-in-class city that attracts best-in-class talent, Philadelphia is an incredible place to build a career. From our thriving arts scene and rich history to our culture of passion and grit, there are countless reasons to love living and working here. With a workforce of over 30,000 people, and more than 1,000 different job categories, the City of Philadelphia offers boundless opportunities to make an impact.
As an employer, the City of Philadelphia values inclusion, integrity, innovation, empowerment, and hard work above all else.
We offer a vibrant work environment, comprehensive health care and benefits, and the experience you need to grow and excel. If you’re interested in working with a passionate team of people who care about the future of Philadelphia, start here.
What We Offer
- Impact – The work you do here matters to millions.
- Growth – Philadelphia is growing, why not grow with it?
- Diversity & Inclusion – Find a career in a place where everyone belongs.
- Benefits – We care about your well-being.
The Office of the Philadelphia City Commissioners is a three-member bipartisan board of elected officials in charge of elections and voter registration for the City of Philadelphia. The City of Philadelphia is the sixth largest city in the United States and one of the largest employers in Southeastern Pennsylvania.
The Lead GIS Analyst is responsible for the creation, analysis, and maintenance of various spatial databases and applications with the use of the ArcGIS suite of desktop products, ArcGIS Online, and scripting tools.
The Lead GIS Analyst will also publish web maps, model workflows, and build geo-processing tools using Python.
The analyst will take on projects to extract, evaluate, and visualize spatial and non-spatial data for business intelligence purposes and program performance measurement by departments.
This will include statistical analysis, developing metrics, and producing reports. Some project supervision is included among the responsibilities of this position.
The candidate will support the Office of City Commissioners’ efforts to enforce data standards for the creation, management, and sharing of spatial and non-spatial data for business intelligence, project/program performance tracking, and public data releases.
The Lead Analyst will assist with the administration of the departments main ArcGIS Online organization (PHLmaps) and ensure that wiki documentation on its use and that content and elements relating to the creation and management of profiles, groups, and enterprise and open data content are well maintained for the benefit of all city users.
The analyst will from time to time take on trouble shooting tasks to assist users in the enterprise with use of online and desktop GIS products.
- Develop and maintain geospatial datasets.
- Complete metadata documentation of datasets and processes.
- Coordination of some short- and long-term enterprise GIS projects by preparing and maintaining project status using Wrike, cloud-drives, written reports, and wiki documents.
- Provide geospatial support to other city agencies including data development, analysis, on-line maps, ETL processes, and setup of field data collection apps.
- Create and maintain of web map applications published via ArcGIS Online.
- Assist with administration of ArcGIS Online organizations for the city and maintain relevant user guides and training materials.
- Query, analyze and prepare statistics on spatial and non-spatial data using GIS, SQL, Excel, Python, and other tools.
- Extract and analyze Census ACS data on demographics and related national or local datasets on health, education, crime, etc.
- Prepare and execute workflows and automated routines using Python.
- Prepare and execute queries in spatial and non-spatial databases using SQL.
- Interact with analysts from other departments assigned to a specific project.
- Participate in meetings and events within department, city, and wider GIS user community.
- Occasionally conduct presentations on enterprise specific topics at meetings and conferences.
- Prepare and deliver presentations and/or training sessions related to mapping software, tools, or procedures to City staff on as needed basis.
- Provide oversight of subordinate, intern, and Co-op employees.
Skills and Abilities
- Proficiency in database management: create, edit, update, join, append, and query data from spatial and non-spatial relational databases including Postgre
- Experience with data visualization and graphics tools for the creation of professional presentations reports, web content, or education materials.
- Proficiency in authoring Python scripts and creating models in ArcGIS Model Builder for automation of routines and geoprocesses.
- Advanced-level proficiency using ArcGIS 10.x software suite.
- Advanced-level proficiency using ArcGIS Pro.
- Experience with ArcGIS Online to manage profiles, groups, publishing of data, Esri Open Data tools, and Collector for ArcGIS