Job title: Daytime Home Coordinator, Family Home
Job description: The Organization:
Doorways, is an Arlington-based non-profit agency helping individuals and families create pathways out of homelessness, domestic violence and sexual assault leading to safe, stable and empowered lives. We envision a community where all people live free of violence and have safe and stable housing regardless of their gender, race, ethnicity, age, religious beliefs, sexual orientation, abilities, language, or national origin. We see a future without homelessness or domestic and sexual violence.
Doorways began in 1978 when a group of concerned community members saw there was no safe place in Arlington for families in crisis. What began then with one shelter and one response has grown into a series of pathways individually tailored for adults, youth, and children seeking safety and shelter. From immediate crisis intervention to counseling, housing, and employment support, we offer real options and multiple pathways for people of all ages and genders-women, men, youth, and LGBTQIA+ people.
The Daytime Home Coordinator (DHC) works as part of a team and independently to provide services to individuals and families who are homeless and living in Doorways’ Family Home. The HC has primary responsibility for shelter coverage, crisis intervention, and oversight of daily shelter operations. The position is full time, with hours Monday -Friday 7AM-3PM, requires on-call availability and is considered “essential” personnel in times of hardship, such as extreme weather conditions and/or other emergencies. This position reports to the Family Home Program Director.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Direct Client Services
- Maintain Program and client confidentiality in accordance with Doorways Policy, including former clients.
- Provide crisis intervention, safety planning, and resource information to clients and callers.
- Maintain appropriate professional boundaries with Family Home residents.
- Immediately report suspected neglect/abuse to supervisor or Tier 2 on-call
- Complete new client admissions according to policy.
- Document notable interactions among clients, staff and volunteers and respond to critical incidents.
- Elevate pertinent client and house concerns to the Client Services Counselor or Program Director in a timely manner.
- Reinforce Community Living Guidelines with residents.
- Perform program departure procedures with clients, including break down of client file.
- Provide prescription and over-the counter medications to clients per policy.
- Provide residents with petty cash, fare cards and gift cards per policy.
- Provide support to Client Services Counselor and Program Director to meet client’s needs.
- Ensure adequate supervision of children by parents.
- Ensure the safety and security of the shelter and shelter residents (shovel and/or salt driveway, clean-up and disinfection of bodily fluids, etc).
- Provide weekend and/or holiday on-call coverage on a rotating basis with other full-time Home Coordinators, Youth Specialist and Shelter Coordinator.
- Perform daily Home walkthroughs and safety checks as appropriate for shift and complete any needed remedial activities.
- Conduct and participate with other shelter staff in shift exchange and review log book per policy.
- Document all visitors, including vendors and volunteers.
- Clean, sanitize and prepare newly vacated bedrooms to be ready for new client arrivals.
- Document all household maintenance issues on the Daily Log and ensure communication amongst team and Program Director and other on call staff
- Log and put away any received donations and supplies received during your scheduled shift
- Maintain and organize food items and house cleanliness.
- Assist in on-the-job training and supervision of Client Assistants.
- Maintain supplies for program including managing in-kind requests, storage room, household inventory.
- Organize linen closet and request new items as needed.
- Complete weekly AFAC order in collaboration with the Safe House staff.
- Complete bi-weekly room checks with another Family Home staff.
- Prepare weekend updates.
Other duties, as assigned.
- Demonstrate alignment with Doorways core values and mission.
- In partnership with Doorways staff, assist with Doorways client and community events.
- Attend agency and/or other service provider meetings, as required.
- Maintain current industry knowledge and best practices.
- Obtain CPR/First Aid certification and keep current.
- Adhere to agency policies and procedures.
Knowledge and Skills Required:
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
- 1+ year experience in a social service organization, preferably working in a residential setting with women and children who have been abused and/or are homeless.
- Bilingual skills (English/Spanish) are a plus
- Flexible and a self-starter; able to multi-task while also being willing to “roll up the sleeves” and get tasks done
- Excellent people skills, with experience collaborating in a multi-disciplinary, diverse, and dynamic team
- Must possess basic computer skills, including word processing, spreadsheets, email, and the internet (Microsoft Suite)
- Must demonstrate an acceptance and respect for cultural diversity in all its forms, including ethnicity, sexual orientation, abilities, and religious backgrounds and an ability to work collaboratively in an ethnically, linguistically, and culturally diverse environment.
- Completion of a CPS/Criminal Background Check.
- Must maintain personal cell phone for work-related purposes.
- Must be located in the DMV area.
$21.00 per hour depending on level of education, experience, and fluency in Spanish or other high demand languages. Excellent benefits – health/dental/vision, life, LTD, 403(b), etc.
Doorways observes the CDC recommendations for COVID-19 precautions.
We have a vaccine mandate for our employees and required weekly testing for unvaccinated employees.
Doorways for Women and Families is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
People of color, women, LGBTQIA+ candidates, and people of diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. Doorways is committed to a diverse workplace and to supporting our staff with ongoing career development opportunities. See for more info.
Expected salary: $21 per hour
Location: Arlington, VA
Job date: Tue, 22 Nov 2022 05:03:00 GMT