Job title: Staff Nurse – per diem
Company: Dana-Farber Cancer Institute
Job description: Responsibilities
Delivers expert, evidence-based nursing care to patients and families.
- Implements nursing process: Assessment, Nursing Diagnosis, Planning, Implementation, Evaluation.
- Assesses patient and family needs.
- Promotes health care outcomes in concert with currently accepted clinical practice guidelines.
- Analyzes assessment data to develop and support clinically accurate diagnoses.
- Collaborates proactively with all interdisciplinary team members with a patient centered focus to facilitate and maximize patient healthcare outcomes.
- Plans care by establishing goals with measurable outcomes.
- Implements the plan of care.
- Evaluates the patient’s response to interventions.
- Documents care according to Institute and regulatory agencies’ requirements.
- Administers medications and other treatments, which may include chemotherapy, and performs procedures safely and efficiently in accordance with Institute policy. May administer blood transfusions.
- Evaluates educational and psychological needs of patient and family and incorporates identified needs into the plan of care.
- Educates patient and family regarding treatment modalities of disease, which may include chemotherapy and radiation therapy and symptom management.
- Reviews patient’s clinical status and laboratory values pre-treatment and consults with provider when appropriate.
- Evaluates and determines need for patient referrals to other members of the interdisciplinary needs as appropriate.
- Identifies appropriate community resources to promote continuity of care and makes appropriate referrals.
- Manages patient care across the continuum, making appropriate referrals to home care and hospice as necessary.
- Prepare and administers chemotherapy/biotherapy and supportive therapy in accordance with ASCO/ONS Guidelines.
- Recognizes and responds to emergency situations appropriately. Maintains BLS certification.
- Provides telephone triage according to policies and documents telephone interactions
- Performs the following technical skills:
- Intravenous therapy including peripheral and central venous vascular access devices, including obtaining IV access.
- Safe handling practices for hazardous, cytotoxic and biological agents
- Chemotherapy administration skills, including vesicant and non-vesicant medications
- Complies with accepted standards of professional nursing practice, as well as with all licensure/registration requirements applicable to the nursing role. Supports the DFCI Nursing Department Professional Practice Model and Quality Plan.
- Accurately records charges for all services rendered on the day service.
- Collaborates with Clinic Assistant to assure accurate inventory of all supplies.
- Serves as a resource to medical personnel in other health facilities, providing telephone consultation to engender optimal Oncology practices and knowledge among health care professionals caring for cancer patients.
Establishes rapport with patients and families from a variety of cultural, ethnic and religious backgrounds.
- Interacts with patients and families in a caring and compassionate manner respecting the need for privacy and confidentiality.
- Develops approaches to problem solving which meet the individual needs of the patients and families.
- Demonstrates the knowledge and skills necessary to provide age-specific care and support to the populations served.
- Promotes a culture of inclusion. Fosters an environment that is sensitive to the needs of diverse populations, including but not limited to culture, ethnicity, gender, and age.
Manages the environment of patient care.
- Monitors the environment of care with attention to patient safety, and assures compliance with regulatory agency standards
- Complies with applicable policies, procedures, work rules and standards of conduct.
- Adheres to the Code of Ethics for Nurses with Interpretive Statements (ANA, 2015) in all aspects of professional practice.
- Bases care on the Standards of Oncology Nursing Practice and Oncology Nursing Society Chemotherapy Guidelines.
Works collaboratively and functions as an effective member of the health care team.
- Demonstrates the ability to work collaboratively with peers and co-workers. Effectively addresses and manages conflicts. Demonstrates excellent communication skills.
- Demonstrates effectiveness as a contributing member to the multidisciplinary health care team.
- Delegates as appropriate and supervises assistive personnel in their provision of patient care.
- May function in the charge nurse role when necessary, collaborating with staff and coordinating flow of patients into the infusion areas.
- Participates in committees, councils, and initiatives.
- Demonstrates flexibility in setting and changing priorities. Accepts additional responsibilities as needed.
- Participates in QA/QI projects for the unit as requested
Seeks opportunities to foster professional growth.
- Identifies areas for professional growth. Formulates professional goals, objectives and methods for accomplishing these.
- Attends inservices, workshops and seminars. Shares information gained with colleagues.
- Facilitates professional growth of self and others by acting as a preceptor and mentor for new staff.
- Meets all annual evaluation requirements and competencies within the established time period.
- Pursues active membership in local and national professional organizations.
- Licensed as a registered Nurse in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, or State of New Hampshire as appropriate
- Baccalaureate degree in nursing strongly preferred. If associate degree in nursing, must complete BSN degree within 3 years.
- Minimum of 1-year recent experience as an RN
- Ambulatory and/or oncology experience preferred
- Professional nursing certification preferred (OCN, BMTCN, CPHON, AOCNP, CRNI, RN-BC)
- AHA BLS required (AHA ACLS accepted as minimum requirement)
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Demonstrated ability to work as an effective member of an interdisciplinary team.
- Demonstrated skills in critical thinking, problem solving, and ability to make independent decisions.
- Ability to function in a busy work setting with patients with complex needs.
- IV skills strongly preferred
- Work tasks require walking, standing, climbing, sitting, bending, reaching and occasional lifting. Some tasks are performed while sitting.
- Good hearing and vision is required for the time spent in interactions with others, telecommunications and the required reading of medical and pharmaceutical documents and patient care related documents.
- Communications with physicians or staff during office hours requires organization of information, discretion and balancing of multiple communications.
- Relationships with patients/families and colleagues requires excellent listening skills, the ability to identify issues and seek a resolution that reflects the quality care and satisfaction goals of the practice.
- The work requires concentration and frequent mental and visual attention as well as the ability to work efficiently. Frequent interruptions and movement away from desk require the ability to stay focused and return to uncompleted tasks.
- Telephone communications listening and speaking skills are required for the time spent in this mode of communication.
- The ability to balance multiple tasks and normal stress associated with the duties and responsibilities of this position are essential requirements in the performance of this job.
- The ability to speak, read and write in English, and the ability to perform mathematical pharmaceutical calculations is required for this position.
- Demonstrates understanding of special needs and behaviors of age groups of the population served: young adult to geriatric.
At Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, we work every day to create an innovative, caring, and inclusive environment where every patient, family, and staff member feels they belong. As relentless as we are in our mission to reduce the burden of cancer for all, we are equally committed to diversifying our faculty and staff. Cancer knows no boundaries and when it comes to hiring the most dedicated and diverse professionals, neither do we. If working in this kind of organization inspires you, we encourage you to apply.
Dana-Farber Cancer Institute is an equal opportunity employer and affirms the right of every qualified applicant to receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity or expression, national origin, sexual orientation, genetic information, disability, age, ancestry, military service, protected veteran status, or other groups as protected by law.
Location: Methuen, MA
Job date: Sat, 17 Sep 2022 04:25:49 GMT