Job title: Sr. Applied Scientist
Job description: DESCRIPTION
Selling Partner Services (SPS) is the custodian of the selling partners’ journey through Amazon.com and is responsible for several key elements of Amazon’s business. The primary goals of SPS are to drive awareness and motivation to sell among the global entrepreneurs, simplify onboarding and provide education throughout the Selling Partner lifecycle, ensure price competitiveness, and finally, drive product discovery so partners can effectively convey their brand/product story.
At Amazon, a large portion of our business is driven by third-party Sellers who set their own prices. The Pricing team is seeking a Sr. Applied Scientist to use statistical and machine learning techniques to design, evangelize, and implement state-of-the-art solutions for never-before-solved problems, helping Marketplace Sellers offer Customers great prices. This role will be a key member of an Advanced Analytics team supporting Pricing related business challenges based in Seattle, WA.
The Sr. Applied Scientist will work closely with other research scientists, machine learning experts, and economists to design and run experiments, research new algorithms, and find new ways to improve Seller Pricing to optimize the Customer experience. The Applied Scientist will partner with technology and product leaders to solve business and technology problems using scientific approaches to build new services that surprise and delight our customers. An Applied Scientist at Amazon applies scientific principles to support significant invention, develops code and are deeply involved in bringing their algorithms to production. They also work on cross-disciplinary efforts with other scientists within Amazon.
The key strategic objectives for this role include:
- Understanding drivers, impacts, and key influences on Pricing dynamics.
- Optimizing Seller Pricing to improve the Customer experience.
- Drive actions at scale to provide low prices and increased selection for customers using scientifically-based methods and decision making.
- Helping to support production systems that take inputs from multiple models and make decisions in real time.
- Automating feedback loops for algorithms in production.
- Utilizing Amazon systems and tools to effectively work with terabytes of data.
You can also learn more about Amazon science here – https://www.amazon.science/
- PhD degree with 4+ years of applied research experience or a Master’s degree and 6+ years of experience of applied research experience
- 3+ years of experience in building machine learning models for business application
- Experience programming in Java, C++, Python or related language
- PhD degree or MS degree in Statistics, Computer Science, Machine Learning or related field.
- 5+ years of experience in ML, OR, econometrics or statistics.
- Strong track record of high quality and high impact technical publications.
- Proven written and verbal communication skills to convey complicated processes and systems to business partners.
- 7+ years of relevant experience, including:
- Extensive knowledge and practical experience in statistics, machine learning, deep learning, or econometrics.
- Demonstrated ability to implement different techniques in predictive analytics, forecasting, and measurement.
- Experience with experimental design.
- Expertise in analyzing both experimental and observational data sets.
- Experience with tools and technologies enabling self-sufficiency in data analysis and modeling such as R, python, Hive, Pig, SQL, or other scripting languages.
- Ability to deal with ambiguity and juggle competing priorities.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Location: Seattle, WA
Job date: Thu, 22 Sep 2022 04:17:44 GMT